Did you know that walking has the lowest dropout rate of all of physical activities? According to the American Heart Association, walking is “the simplest positive change you can make to effectively improve your heart health.” Here are some benefits that 30 minutes of walking and moderate physical activity a day can help (provided by The American Heart Association):
- Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease,
- Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels,
- Improve blood lipid profile,
- Maintain body weight and lower the risk of obesity,
- Enhance mental well being,
- Reduce the risk of osteoporosis,
- Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer, and
- Reduce the risk of non-insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes.
Now that you know the benefits of walking, what’s stopping you? Even though the weather outside isn’t the best, you can always get extra steps in at the gym, around the office, or at your house. Get started on those new years resolutions on the right foot, and don’t forget to stay hydrated!